Wilson's Birthday Countdown

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Emma's Birthday Countdown

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

09 September 2010

365 days ago. . .

. . . I showed Grammy and Oscar how daddy wanted the family room painted and took off to Home Depot. I don't remember what I needed there, but I remember walking around the store having contractions. I also remember what I was wearing - my black shirt & khaki pants/capris. I had to go by the local hardware store too to pick up, or was it drop off, a window to get fixed. The woman asked me if I planned to breastfeed and was the first to inform me that you get HOT when you are nursing. I kept having contractions and kept it quiet.

That afternoon, around 2, Grammy, Oscar, and I went to get GIANT roast beef sandwiches as Masliks (?). Probably not the best plan for someone in labor. I still kept quiet - daddy knew and I had texted Lisa, but I was feeling very private about the beginning of the process. (Hours later I would really regret that lunch as I saw it again. Ick.)

I finally spoke up around 4:30 when I just couldn't keep the contractions to myself anymore. About an hour later daddy was home, 30 minutes after he got home we left for the hospital, and almost 6 hours after we got to the hospital, we had you in our arms.

Your first birthday is causing a flood of memories and feelings, Emma. I laid in bed last night recalling that it was a year ago that I'd told your daddy he probably should stop working on the family room and get some sleep since I thought you might be here the next day. I was 53 minutes off.

Tonight is football opener. When we drove to the hospital, daddy guessed that if you were a girl, you'd be born Wed (9.9.9) because you'd think that was good, but if you were a boy, you'd wait until Thursday for football opener. Well, our sweet little girl, you'll watch the Vikes and the Saints tonight with daddy and, if it were me, I'd be thinking of our first football game as a family cuddled up in my hospital bed watching the Steelers take on the Cardinals (??).

No comments:

Post a Comment