Wilson's Birthday Countdown

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Emma's Birthday Countdown

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

16 July 2010

Accidental CIO?

I came home from work last night to find you sleeping in your crib. This is pretty typical for a Thursday, you and daddy play hard and he puts you down and then he and I go to bed and wait for you to wake to join us. We put on the monitor and chatted a bit before drifting off. At one point, the monitor was beeping and needed charging, so he turned the other on to take over.

Enter 2 am. I woke up and realized you weren't with us. I looked to see if the monitors were on and you had just (miraculously) remained asleep and what do I see? NOTHING! The little green light that indicates that we can hear you is off! Ahh! Enter mama guilt! So daddy hustled upstairs to check on you and found you still asleep. Even after he moved a few things around.

Now, in theory I should capitalized on my time alone and caught some heavy zzzzz's. But this horrible image of you standing in your crib, crying, and finally giving up and crashing kept nagging me so I was up for the better part of an hour. It was probably just as I was about to get to sleep that you actually did wake up for more than a stir and I could scoop you up in my arms (and nurse since I hadn't in almost 10 hrs - eek!) and melt away some of the guilt with some snuggles.

I'm looking forward to the day - night - when you sleep for a solid 8. Or even 6, I'm not that picky, but when that happens, I want it to be because you were ready for that, not because we left you crying and didn't hear you. Guess that's why the ultimate goal is good enough parenting!!

Now I hope you've been enjoying your nap because before too long I'm going to need to wake you up, we've got some fun plans this morning at the Farmer's Market with E & C!!

2 comments:

  1. Mama guilt, it's awful, right?? Don't feel too bad, it sounds like sweet Emma was able to get through it pretty well on her own. Who knows, maybe tonight will be the night she's ready for 6 hours in a row! And perhaps this will make you feel better - our apartment is so small, there's not a single place where we CAN'T hear Hugo crying from his crib. You guys are doing great; it's clear from the pictures that Emma is one happy baby! Hope to see you soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet comment Kim! Unfortunately no 6 hr stretch for us following it, but you're right, she did fair pretty well and we made it through too!

    We're looking forward to seeing you guys at the wedding. Steve can't come, but Em and I are making the trip in large part to meet her buddy Hugo! (And celebrate the marriage of course.)

    ReplyDelete